#85 What the sea can teach Amazon entrepreneurs about time management
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 7:17 — 6.7MB)
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Email | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Spotify |
#85 The sea…and Natural Rhythms
It’s funny how interacting personally with basic natural forces reminds you of some Business basics for Amazon. Here are a couple of thoughts that have struck me while swimming in the sea off the South-East coast of England:
There is a natural rhythm to everything in business. Just like the ebb and flow of the tide, it’s almost like a force of nature. If we learn to recognise hear or see those rhythms, we can work with them not against them.
Examples of natural rhythms include:
- The economy of a country which has an Amazon marketplace: consumer spending ebbs and flows with the economy, which tends to follow the Business Cycle of around 11 years.
- The seasonal ebb and flow of product demand in retail – especially on Amazon! Late November and December are normally epic demand for most products; January is often quite dead. BBQs sell better in the summer, and so on. Plan accordingly
- So you need a marketing calendar: Feb: Valentine’s Day; Mother’s Day; Independence Day (USA) or Bastille Day (France)
- You need to reverse engineer from this to your procurement (buying/sourcing) calendar: when do you need to place an order for products in order to get a product launched and ranked for Christmas sales?
- Your own business will have natural rhythms to growth process – at what point do you need to outsource prep? (so you don’t have a living room or garage full of boxes!) When do you take on a VA?
- Your own personal rhythms are also important: when are you at your most productive? When do you need to build exercise into your day and/or your week?
If you can schedule things in these various levels of business in a way that works with the natural rhythms rather than against them, you’ll find you are riding the waves rather than fighting against the tide!
This episode is one of the **Summer Series** of bite-sized chunks of Amazon Strategic Goodness!