#20 Amazon Private Label Sourcing Mistakes – Part 2 of 2
This Episode, #20 , is continuation from episode #18 of my personal Sourcing Mistakes and the solutions I’ve found.
Choosing Suppliers, Communication, handling Financial Arrangements, and Quality Control and Freight/US Customs can be some of the scariest things for a newcomer to a product-based business. They are also the source of many of the frustrations and blocks to progress for any Amazon FBA business owner, however experienced.
Here I continue to share with you all the mistakes I personally have made, and the solutions I had to find!
If you have similar stories to tell, please share them with your fellow Amazon sellers, either here, or in our Facebook Group. Let’s help each other!
For a detailed step by step guide to the sourcing process, listen to Episodes #6-#10, which are part of the 10-step Amazing FBA Startup System.
SHOW NOTES FOR EPISODE #20 -Sourcing Mistakes
- Going to the same place as everyone else to find suppliers
- Getting exactly the same kind of product!
- Not verifying supplier hard enough- solutions- checklist
- Not checking about details of product
- Not getting samples
- Not ordering exact model (eg blue vs. black colour) with total clarity
- Address errors (continent!!)
- Over-long or native-speaker only english
- Having only one possible supplier ready to go
- Letting supplier change carrier to non-standard.
- Not allowing for random delays eg typhoon, suppliers’ supplier (boxes!) delay, customs, supplier gets big order from big customer, hazmat
- Picking a product needing or including batteries!
- not understanding the technical info for batteries
- not getting technical info from supplier upfront
- Not getting products inspected in China
- At the very least, get them inpsected in the USA
- NEVER send in uninspected products to Amazon!
- HAZMAT (“Hazardous Material”) or other Amazon technical delays
- Not preparing MSDS exemption doc
- Not allowing for Hazmat delays
- Not allowing for delays by Amazon in receiving goods or Hazmat issues
- Not moving other parts of the business forward when sourcing isn’t going to plan
- Expecting the Chinese to give a straight answer to a confrontational question
- Getting angry about things outside your control. Remember the ideal:
The Serenity (calm) to accept the things you cannot change; The Courage to change the things you can; and The Wisdom to know the difference.
HOW TO SUBSCRIBE TO THIS PODCAST
A podcast is a free downloadable audio show that enables you to learn while you’re on the go. To subscribe to my podcast for free, you’ll need an app to listen to the show from.
This will help you to download the free Podcasts App (produced by Apple) and then subscribe to the show from within that app. Every time I produce a new episode, you’ll get it downloaded right on your iDevice.
For Android listeners – Download the Stitcher Radio app (free) and search for “Amazing FBA Podcast.” Or, if you have already downloaded a podcasting client, follow the directions in the next sentence.
For podcast enthusiasts – If you already listen to podcasts and have a podcatcher that you prefer, the feed you’ll need to add is: http:// amazingfba.com/feed/podcast.
For those who don’t have a mobile device – You can always listen to the show by clicking the audio file at the top of this page.
If you have any queries, just go to www.amazingfba.com/ask.