#101 Finding a Killer Amazon Product Part 1 of 5: Generate Great Ideas
The first step to finding a Killer Amazon Private Label Product is generating good ideas.
I think there are basically two ways to do this:
Option 1: Organic Ideas
- Brainstorm – I use a tool called Workflowy but a Google doc (especially good if you’ll be sharing with a partner or VA) or Word or Pages (Mac) document would do. Or even a notebook!
- Go to Argos, Tiger and similar shops – maybe Tesco for UK if you’re after clothes or Walmart in the States
- Look at physical catalogues like Argos etc
- Sign up for specialist magazines or catalogues eg for Cookware
- Look around eg your kitchen, friends’ kitchens, etc.
Option 2: Use research tools to generate ideas
- One tool I’ve used is the Product Database from Jungle Scout (affiliate link). I personally tend to start from ideas but if you’re more numbers driven, this tool can be great. I have a couple of my mentees who love starting this way.
- If you do it this way, you’ll need to start off with some criteria. I’ll talk more about this at the next stage, but I would avoid cheap, light products. The $20-40 selling price range is where everyone else is; I suggest going much higher. You can do interesting things like only looking for products above 5 lbs weight etc. Have a play and see what comes out.
Either way – we just gather ideas at this stage, we don’t want to rule out too much. First we gather, then we whittle down ideas.